christyler
Forum Contributor
Winner: Mechanical Maestro of the 2012
Modification of the Year 2012
Car Details: D3 TDV6

Sankey Gourmet Kitchen Trailer Build

Post by christyler » Wed May 23, 2012 11:24 am

Hi Guys,

I hope you are still chuckling at the title of this thread, Some time ago i decided to build a sankey off road camping trailer, I have to admit to being somewhat inspired by "wiggs" from the disco 3 forum i love his ideas and Hi Tech approach, whilst my build uses similar components to his it is constructed using a different body work design with some of my own mad ideas.

Over the next few months i will update pictures and continue to post updates here

I should really start by thanking "Bodsy" for all the help he has given me, firstly by collecting the trailer in the UK and delivering it to the ferry for me back in July of last year, i am ashamed to say that it just sat there until about three months ago when the summer is coming panic hit me. And secondly for being my UK address for deliveries from UK company's that cant manage to ship all the way to Ireland !!

I got stuck in cutting bits out of the chassis and welding bits back in, i modified the chassis by extending the draw-bar by 2 feet to make the trailer easier to reverse and give more room for the extended body, i added brackets to hang a 70ltr water tank just slightly in front of the axel and more brackets to fit a 20ltr LPG tank at the back of the chassis.

I stripped and copper greased all the parts of the braking system that needed it, i had to replace the brake pipe after extending the draw bar, i then checked the operation of the breaking system.
After that cleaning and painting took place, the chassis got two coats of hammerite black, the next step was wiring, i stripped all the original wiring from the trailer and replaced it with new, using a 13 pin plug. I added wiring for the gas tank and water tank contents gauges and allowed for the trailer alarm system to flash the indicators as well.

Part 1
Trailer re-build
Sankey Wheel Hub Adapters

Turned out an extra couple of mm inside to fit the hubs

All ready for matching the car with these

Bare Sankey with tub removed.

Front now extended to make it easier to reverse and give more space.

You can see where I’ve had to remove some of the struts to fit the tanks, but well worth doing as it keeps the weight low down.

Some extra supports to hold everything in place.

New Jockey wheel in place, extended the brake lines and wiring.

New support struts where the LPG tank will go.

Compulsory block of chequer plate of course 

Next instalment: Fitting water and LPG tanks

Pictures in gallery,
Last edited by Bodsy on Mon May 28, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Pics

JF Lux
Forum Contributor
Winner: Rear of The Year 2011 & 13
Winner of the Chairman's Award 2014
Car Details: D5 Si6 HSE & D3 HSE

Re: Sankey Gourmet Kitchen Trailer Build

Post by JF Lux » Wed May 23, 2012 11:32 am

christyler wrote:And secondly for being my UK address for deliveries from UK company's
he's good at that, isn't he :lol: Bodsy mentioned that he is now central England's wharehouse and distribution center for both Ireland and Luxembourg :lol:

Member of Club ex-ex-D3...
Member of Club ex-D4
Member of Club D8 (well it is a 5 for the road and a 3 for off)
Member of club Much Brightness...
Member of a club...in another country. Why ? my wife asks...
Member of Club "I don't want to hear about caravans..."
Winner of Club Rear of the Year 2011

christyler
Forum Contributor

Post by christyler » Wed May 23, 2012 5:06 pm

Part 2, Water and LPG Tank Installation

So i wanted to fit a water tank under the body of the trailer, on the chassis. It took me ages to find the right tank, then i discovered the Fiamma 70ltr tank was the exact right size to fit into the chassis just over the axle. This requires you to cut a bare out that is just there for wires to run across, once its out the tank will fit in the space with a few simple brackets to hold it.

The LPG tank was fitted in a similar way, i had to remove two bits of angle at the rear of the chassis, there purpose was to reinforce the towing point at the centre of the rear cross member. By removing these i was able to mount the LPG tank 4" higher. I simply replaced them with some flat steel arranged to do the same reinforcing job but on the top of the chassis instead.

The tank i used is a 20ltr steel tank, this was chosen mainly because of its size and the fact that it fits between the chassis rails perfectly. Both of these tanks were fitted to the chassis to make more room inside the trailer for other goodies.

Part 2
LPG and Water Tanks

Framework in for the LPG Tank

LPG Tank in place. Keeping the floor flat.

Water and LPG fitted

Had to move the outrigging swing arms to accommodate the tank.

Lifted to get the painting done and make it easier to run some pipes

With the quick connect on the back of the chassis rail

Pictures in Gallery

Next Instalment: Body and wheel arches.
Last edited by Bodsy on Mon May 28, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benp
Green Lane Rep
Winner: Benner of the year
Car Details: D3

Post by benp » Sun May 27, 2012 7:38 am

Nice build so far…. Not at all jealous of all the toys that are pictured on your drive :thumbright:

Benner of the year
club dog guard in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out....club the dog is dead but cant change the signature :(
club the D3 is alive!

Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Post by Stu » Sun May 27, 2012 9:16 am

I reread Wiggs build last weekend and have just watched a slideshow of photos in the gallery. I like the water tank and lpg. Not sure about the body though as it just looks like a box trailer is that the plan or will it be getting doors and compartments etc?

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

Bodsy
Chairman
Winner: Technical Post 2012, 2013
Comedian of the Year 2014
Car Details: 2007 HSE

Post by Bodsy » Sun May 27, 2012 10:08 am

Oh I think it will have a few more changes by the end of the weekend :whistle:

Beauty of this, is that it's actually a really simple way too construct the body at a fraction of the cost/weight compared to metal frame ones.
Made from truck body boarding. :thumbright:

Check http://tinyurl.com/brakebible
Here for How to change your Brake Pads, Disks, EPB Shoes Adjust, removal, cleaning & fitting Guide.

IID Pro Multivehicle. D3, D4, RRSport pre and post 2010, FFRR.
Gearbox Transmission Flushes and much more

Disco3Club Chairman

Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Post by Stu » Sun May 27, 2012 9:46 pm

I look forward to watching this. I am still keen to do my own at some point. Need to move house first though!

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

christyler
Forum Contributor

Post by christyler » Sun May 27, 2012 10:28 pm

Part 3 Body Work. Doors and Hatches

Well finally we have managed to get a dry week end, (only one shower) i started work on the body panels and was able to get all the doors hanging and the lock fitted to one of them, its a bit of a long winded process getting all the profile to line up properly but by taking my time it all works out just fine.

There isn't much that can be said really about this process, just cut out the door sizes you want and then fit the door profile in the gap and around the door you cut out and hay presto instant doors of cource the profile was sealed with silicone on the lower edges and all the bolt holes for the hinges and locks.

I also managed to get one of the three internal bulkheads in, this one runs across the trailer separates the fridges and beer and food storage areas from the rest of the trailer and provides support for the roof and roof tent. The other two will will run along the length of the trailer provide the same support for the roof etc and divide the trailer load space from the cooking area, the third one will support etc and provide isolation between the load space and the services, generator etc.

Bodywork, Doors and Hatches

Marking and cutting for the floor.

The body is made from Truck body building materials, so it relatively lightweight, strong and incredibly easy to put together. Major advantage is that it doesn’t require any folding of steel/ally and the doors will be dust/weatherproof.
You can see how the body will come together.

Pipework, wiring, etc, all coming together.

It’s amazing how quick it comes together once you’ve done all the chassis work and planning in advance.

The whole body panels in place, note no doors are cutout yet.

Internal Wheel arches from ply, covered and waterproofed

External arches with Defender spats on

The first door cut out.

Internal bulkhead for additional strength

Door framed and surround added. This is so much easier than bending metal and welding door frames.

Plenty of access points as I want to be able to use as much of the space as possible.

First door on, framed and hinged with lock

One side done

And the other side

As usual pictures in my gallery
Last edited by Bodsy on Mon May 28, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

christyler
Forum Contributor

Post by christyler » Sun May 27, 2012 10:31 pm

benp wrote:Nice build so far…. Not at all jealous of all the toys that are pictured on your drive :thumbright:

Good job you couldn't see all of them then !! :whistle:

christyler
Forum Contributor

Post by christyler » Sun May 27, 2012 10:33 pm

Stu wrote:I reread Wiggs build last weekend and have just watched a slideshow of photos in the gallery. I like the water tank and lpg. Not sure about the body though as it just looks like a box trailer is that the plan or will it be getting doors and compartments etc?

Hi Stu,

i think part 3 might put your mind at rest regarding the body, feel free to pass on any ideas, nothing is set in stone yet.