What Annoyed me Today.......

The Bar is open, pop inside to discuss anything non car or club related.
anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Re: What Annoyed me Today.......

Post by anglefire » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:45 pm

Why are you messing with it Ben and not chucked it back at the office/supplier to sort?

What has annoyed me? Well, I bought a new dizzy last year as I thought the one I had was playing up - but its not been 100% right since and has a bit of pinking when hot and is a little rough at idle - though not bad if you know what I mean for a 40 year old car.

So, having done some research it looks like the cheap (Like £30 ish) dizzy's don't perform anything like the original British made Lucas ones and often the vacuum advance barely works or at least not consistently.

That and I'm going to get a replacement engine (I've got one lined up which is complete with a 4-2-1 stainless header and twin exhaust) and after some checks and fit a new oil pump probably as that hasn't been changed and water pump for the same reason, drop that in and I would rather have a decent dizzy to start - so I've ordered a refurbished one from the Distributor Doctor today - and cos I threw the old dizzy away just the core is £75 then on top of that is the cost to make sure it is bob on to the original specs. Oh well it's only money.

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

benp
Green Lane Rep
Winner: Benner of the year
Car Details: D3

Post by benp » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:49 pm

sadly I have been a bit bent over by others on this tool, it took 6 months to arrive and I get to be the one who attends all the meetings where people discuss non delivery of contract and other wonderful phrases... plus I do like making stuff work which I did, on looking at it the date and time stamp was way off so it was convinced I couldn't have asked it to work as the date hadn't happened :pcwhack: simples when you find it but given the power circuit was dodgy I was thinking bigger problems with the rest of it

ps the sentence "dizzy's don't perform anything like the original British made Lucas ones" :blowup: amused me ;)

Benner of the year
club dog guard in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out....club the dog is dead but cant change the signature :(
club the D3 is alive!

DSL
Forum Contributor
Car Details: The old muddy banger

Post by DSL » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:46 pm

Took me ages to work out what a dizzy was. :whistle: :whistle:

If only I could think of something useful to type here!! :(

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Post by anglefire » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:34 am

Yeah Lucas and good don’t normally appear in the same sentence, but having talked to the chap who rebuilds them for a living (yeah possible conflict of interest) the cheap Chinese ones are just rubbish.

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here