CONVOY FOR HEROES

Press releases / Club News will be placed here
moose
Forum Contributor
Car Details: It's Sporty

CONVOY FOR HEROES

Post by moose » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:50 pm

I had this mailed to me today ( Discovery Owners Club) - I guess some of you guys know or are part of it, for those who don't see below, I am sure the organisers would appreciate D3club support

CONVOY FOR HEROES

LAND ROVER ENTHUSIASTS IN SUPPORT OF

HELP FOR HEROES

Dear Club Members

When 10,000 bikers rode through Wootton Bassett last March to raise money for Afghan Heroes, there were a lot of Land Rover enthusiasts who thought that we, the Land Rover community should do something similar. Well, we can.

It’s called Convoy for Heroes and it’s happening next Easter at Long Marston Airfield in Warwickshire. Its only purpose is to raise money for Help for Heroes. That’s not, “whatever money is left after the organisers have had their slice,” either. Not only don’t the organisers get paid, they will be paying to get in just like everybody else.

There isn’t room to get 10,000 Land Rovers in a convoy. But we can squeeze 500 in, which will mean a two mile line of Land Rovers with HUE 166, the very first production Land Rover, kindly loaned to us by the Heritage Motor Centre at Gaydon, leading the convoy. Trailing up the rear will be something a great deal newer in the shape of ... well, you’ll just have to wait and see.

The rest of us, and the target is 10,000 Land Rovers, can watch and wave and just be there.

Now, you have probably figured out that, at best, the convoy is going to take a couple of hours, maximum, and there is a whole weekend to fill. Exactly right, but this is NOT a Land Rover show. It’s not a case of pay your money at the gate and get two days of entertainment. For this one, you have to pay the piper and play as well.

The 120 Land Rover clubs we are approaching are full of ingenious people who are adept at solving problems. It goes with the territory if you own a Land Rover. Now is a good time, in support of a good cause, to turn that ingenuity in a different direction. What can you think of or do to turn a good weekend into a great weekend?

Are you in a band, is your club experienced at marshalling, can you re-chassis a 109 in a weekend, can you demonstrate a type of Land Rover based motor-sport? Or, better yet, something totally different.

If this has you sufficiently intrigued and you’d like your club to be part of the best Land Rover event by far, please have a look at our website http://www.convoy4heroes.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or join us on

http://h4hconvoy.myfreeforum.org/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best regards

Tom

Tom Bonner

Club Liaison C4H

'Moonlighting from another world'
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. :moose:

Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Re: CONVOY FOR HEROES

Post by Stu » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:49 pm

Thanks Moose, I think the committee will have to have a think and see what we can do.

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"