It’s rubber time!

For everything Discovery 3 and 4 related
XDAndy
Elected Club Member
Car Details: MY11 3.0 TDV6 XS

It’s rubber time!

Post by XDAndy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:56 pm

Well, timing belt time - they’re made of rubber, sort of, aren’t they.

So having been looking at various topics for a while seems the following would be sensible.

Timing belt - changed Nov 2012
HPFP belt - never changed!
Aux drive belt - changed Nov 2012
Tensioners and bolts
Oil pump case - mine’s a 2005 and not been changed I think
Water pump - as it’s there

First off, when it comes to belts, i has the impression that best wisdom was to stick with LR parts.

I’m asking as our esteemed chairman has recommended Allmakes 4x4 in the past and they have given a very competitive price but using “Dayco” parts - oil pump LR original. When I asked about using just LR parts they say they never have and would expect an extra £300-£400, but LR belts and tensioners are just rebranded Dayco parts anyway.

Other quotes using LR parts seem £400-£500 more.

LR main dealer quote is surprisingly £894.46 for the 3 belts and tensioners, but £626.69 for the oil pump case and £177.84 for the water pump bring it up to an eye watering £1698.99

So, questions I have are

1: are Dayco belts and tensioners acceptable to use, or am I better sticking to LR parts.
2: if going LR Indy route, what kind of price should I be looking at?
3: is there any real value in going main dealer for this work?
4: how big an issue is it that the HPFP belt has never been changed in terms of how soon to look at getting this done.

I’ll possible post on the ‘other’ site as well if things are a little slow here, so please don’t hate me.

Andy

Bodsy
Chairman
Winner: Technical Post 2012, 2013
Comedian of the Year 2014
Car Details: 2007 HSE

Re: It’s rubber time!

Post by Bodsy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:26 pm

allmakes are one supplier, sure, but I’ve limited experience with them directly. Advanced factors I have much experience with.

Dayco are the Oem manufacturer.

Oilpump is same as the Citroen part but Lr is twice the price. Both branded FoMoCo

Don’t use any that don’t have that stamped on them. Yours is likely to be the old style pump unless previous owner changed it. Strongly recommend you do change it for the newer style (the only one currently available so shouldn’t be a problem).

Lr Indy is approx £600-750 inc pump from memory.
On your cars age, no real benefit to going to LR
HPFP belt if it’s never been done, may fray, or may continue. Failure will result in engine stopping but no damage to engine. Failure can cause additional damage at the back of the engine covers and wiring and ‘may’ require body off to get to fix whatever problem is caused.

The price I said above is for both belts, don’t get it done by any Indy who tells you not to bother with it.

Just imho. :thumbright:

Check http://tinyurl.com/brakebible
Here for How to change your Brake Pads, Disks, EPB Shoes Adjust, removal, cleaning & fitting Guide.

IID Pro Multivehicle. D3, D4, RRSport pre and post 2010, FFRR.
Gearbox Transmission Flushes and much more

Disco3Club Chairman

XDAndy
Elected Club Member

Post by XDAndy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks Bodsy.

I got the first post wrong in that I had meant to say Alltrack4x4 in Stourbridge, which I think you pointed someone else towards a while back.

So, not Allmakes 4x4 parts, sorry for misleading impression.

The guy I spoke to there suggested £800 for both belts and oil pump, but using Dayco OEM parts for the belt kits. Didn’t have a price, but thought it would be about £1000 for all LR parts.

Contrastingly, LR Stafford want £2k to do belts, oil pump, water pump.

LR Wolverhampton can do the belts for about £800, but then it’s another £800 (approx) for oil pump and water pump.

Roean’s were quoting about £1100-1200 for belts and oil pump, but then were suggesting to change the water pump would still be a ‘big job’ commanding another couple hundred iirc.

So all in all, a pretty mixed range. Surprised about the lack of dealership consistency tho as I’d have thought these were fixed price services.

Bodsy
Chairman
Winner: Technical Post 2012, 2013
Comedian of the Year 2014
Car Details: 2007 HSE

Post by Bodsy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:22 pm

Changing the water pump at the same time as belts is just a few bolts........ literally!

Check http://tinyurl.com/brakebible
Here for How to change your Brake Pads, Disks, EPB Shoes Adjust, removal, cleaning & fitting Guide.

IID Pro Multivehicle. D3, D4, RRSport pre and post 2010, FFRR.
Gearbox Transmission Flushes and much more

Disco3Club Chairman

XDAndy
Elected Club Member

Post by XDAndy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:48 pm

I know, right?

Was pretty disappointed to hear this, and even challenged it gently saying that with the belts off, the water pump was surely ‘just there’ and a 5 minute job, but the guy was adamant that it would be a considerable amount of extra work time wise to justify something like £240 to change this when doing the belts.

Wasn’t too impressed tbh.

But then heard reasonable things about them as well. Friend had his D3 seize a wheel bearing and they changed it pretty much next day for about £100. Sadly, this was about a week before he snapped a crank.

As he’d had it serviced there, and they use Morris oil, could be related?

Off topic I know, but used Morris oil last oil change, but with Halfords deal on Castrol magnatec atm, used that on this occasion. Mpg gone from 24 to 27, and it’s winter!

Go figure