What have you done to your D3 this week?

For everything Discovery 3 and 4 related
alfamale
Elected Club Member
Car Details: MY11 Discovery 4 XS

Re: What have you done to your D3 this week?

Post by alfamale » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:53 am

DSL wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm
My last big off-road adventure. Don’t do any of that any more. :cry:
Going to try to sort something for August if you're interested, Del? Thinking Northamptonshire or Peak District at the moment, but have a bit more research to do.

OEM RAI & Ladder, Front Runner Rack, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets!

DSL
Forum Contributor
Car Details: The old muddy banger

Post by DSL » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks for the offer but the D4 is purely road use, the only exception being the gravel roads in Scandinavia when off the beaten track. This time I hope to finish the trip in the same Disco I started in, i no longer have a spare. :cry:

If only I could think of something useful to type here!! :(

glen.fryer1
Forum Contributor

Post by glen.fryer1 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:33 pm

Well we made it .
Harwich, Rotterdam, Lubeck, Copenhagen, Gothenburg,Oslo , Isefjærleiren.
Then home via Hirtshall ,Kolding , Hamburg, Amsterdam and then Rotterdam and home,2400 miles.
33 mpg and only one issue ,
whilst in the UK and heading to Harwich my son rang and I took the call through the Discos Bluetooth.
The call cut out and the Bluetooth stayed on all the way to to Iserfjaer meaning no radio as well.
Second day there and the battery was flat ,battery off and recharged and Bluetooth now off and all tickety boo.
Won't be using the Bluetooth anymore .ImageImage

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

alfamale
Elected Club Member
Car Details: MY11 Discovery 4 XS

Post by alfamale » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:41 pm

Replaced the propshaft today. Utter nightmare on my drive. So undulating it's difficult getting axle stands under the bloody car to keep the rear wheels off the ground. Managed eventually, thanks to the help of a friendly neighbour with a trolley jack.

Not sure what's on the shopping list next...a new trolley jack or house with a decent driveway!!!

Plus side, now it's all back together, it drives really well again.

OEM RAI & Ladder, Front Runner Rack, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets!

PillowSmuggler
Committee Member
Winner: Avatar of the Year 2012
Comedian of the Year 2013
Mechanic of the Year 2014
Clube Member of the Year 2014
Car Details: Disco3 TDV6 HSE 2007

Post by PillowSmuggler » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:23 am

More accurately, this was last Friday but I've been a bit preoccupied...

Managed to get a fuel pressure low fault resulting in the full Christmas tree effect heading up the Birdlip hill on the A417 out of Gloucester. It was hellish busy and as I started slowing down the traffic was beeping and swerving around us, so I had no choice but to floor it and hope. Managed to maintain 30MPH up the rest of the hill but on cresting the top I got another bong and the gearbox changed from F to H so was severely overheated. Strong smell of burning ATF but we were still alive and unshunted so very sure I did the right thing. Yellow taxi (well, green actually, I'm not made of money ;) ) recovery home.

I did have the low pressure warnings many times a couple of years ago after Slindon, but they went away after a few weeks and did not return till last week (driving up the struggle to Kirkstone Pass in the Lakes), so I'm not really sure what to expect to discover in the fuel tank; I'll certainly report back.

I've refreshed 4L of atf on the drive to put at least some lubrication back in and will see later when I drive it to another flatter driveway for the fuel pump work whether I have any gears left.

IID tool reported gearbox temp too high, and only started reporting 127C some 15 minutes later, so must have been very hot indeed - I'm remaining pessimistic about scorched friction pads and melted wires and valves until I've changed the low pressure fuel pump and driven it properly.

Oh and my IID is now bricked after the last firmware update, so I don't even have those excellent diagnostic screens to help monitor progress.

It's been a hell of a week :(

Regards, Dom.
2007 HSE Auto TDV6
Snorkel, Cyclonic air filter, GNVP Rock Sliders
78Ah Aux, Split charge, FBH Timer/Remote, Mantec sump plate
LED: Strobes, interior, camping, brake, running, sides
New Oil Pump, using 2SO at 1:400.

Bodsy
Chairman
Winner: Technical Post 2012, 2013
Comedian of the Year 2014
Car Details: 2007 HSE

Post by Bodsy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:43 pm

Ah the wondered what the story was behind your recent work in the car.
Has the box been leaking?

As for my car, the battery had been loosing charge and not able to start the car after being sat for a couple of days.
Battery was from Eurocarparts, so dug out the receipt from March 2016 and swapped it this morning.

Put it in the disco tonight and it seems as though the engine has more power again.
Will monitor over the next week. If it drains again then I’ll have to start looking at the cars electrics for a quiescent drain.

Check http://tinyurl.com/brakebible
Here for How to change your Brake Pads, Disks, EPB Shoes Adjust, removal, cleaning & fitting Guide.

IID Pro Multivehicle. D3, D4, RRSport pre and post 2010, FFRR.
Gearbox Transmission Flushes and much more

Disco3Club Chairman

PillowSmuggler
Committee Member
Winner: Avatar of the Year 2012
Comedian of the Year 2013
Mechanic of the Year 2014
Clube Member of the Year 2014
Car Details: Disco3 TDV6 HSE 2007

Post by PillowSmuggler » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:59 pm

Yeah Ian, it's been leaking from the round seal that surrounds the electrical plug. i cleaned everything with brake cleaner and it continued seeping from just there.
My best guess (as the IID stops reporting transmission oil temp at 128C and was just reading Hi for 15 minutes after) is I managed to get the 'box up to around 150C or so, maybe more, and at that temp I guess I messed up the seals.

Had the battery been playing up for a while? I keep mine plugged into the ctek now with one of those mag connectors so both batteries stay topped up, so in fairness I won't know when mine get tired :thumbright:

Regards, Dom.
2007 HSE Auto TDV6
Snorkel, Cyclonic air filter, GNVP Rock Sliders
78Ah Aux, Split charge, FBH Timer/Remote, Mantec sump plate
LED: Strobes, interior, camping, brake, running, sides
New Oil Pump, using 2SO at 1:400.