Completed projects written as how to guides
Bodsy
Chairman
Winner: Technical Post 2012, 2013
Comedian of the Year 2014
Car Details: 2007 HSE

How to - Front USB sockets

Post by Bodsy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:24 pm

Thanks to CDS for the initial testing lol. But coming soon....

How to....
image.jpg

Check http://tinyurl.com/brakebible
Here for How to change your Brake Pads, Disks, EPB Shoes Adjust, removal, cleaning & fitting Guide.

IID Pro Multivehicle. D3, D4, RRSport pre and post 2010, FFRR.
Gearbox Transmission Flushes and much more

Disco3Club Chairman

Bodsy
Chairman
Winner: Technical Post 2012, 2013
Comedian of the Year 2014
Car Details: 2007 HSE

Re: How to - Front USB sockets

Post by Bodsy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:28 pm

How do I change it from upside down?

Check http://tinyurl.com/brakebible
Here for How to change your Brake Pads, Disks, EPB Shoes Adjust, removal, cleaning & fitting Guide.

IID Pro Multivehicle. D3, D4, RRSport pre and post 2010, FFRR.
Gearbox Transmission Flushes and much more

Disco3Club Chairman

Dave_Harris
Forum Contributor
Car Details: 2011, 3.0 D4 HSE

Post by Dave_Harris » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:19 pm

Keeping an eye with interest...
Had already bought some USB sockets to mount in the dash as I'm fed up with temperamental 12v cigarette USB sockets
Have a requirement for 4 USB devices in the front currently

Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Post by Stu » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:57 pm

That looks like a nice mod.

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Post by anglefire » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:31 pm

Bodsy wrote:How do I change it from upside down?
Only at source as it was an uploaded attachment and not in the gallery - but it does preserve correct rotation when you open it full size :thumbright:

But I have to say does look like an excellent Mod :thumbright:

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

Cobblers
Elected Club Member
Car Details: 2006 HSE

Post by Cobblers » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:19 pm

Looks really good, as you say, much better than the Cig-socket chargers. Could it be used to surface mount something like one of these jobbies?: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00U1677NG/r ... 7T07WHW9V0 This is one of those 48W High capacity charging points.

Also, would it be possible to mount a from Aux socket as well, to either replace or augment the one in the rear?

CDS
Secretary
Car Details: Tangerine Machine

Post by CDS » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:08 pm

So, Bodsy beat me to posting up a how to, yada yada yada, but Seen as how copying is the best for of flattery I guess I'd better get on with the 'How To'

You'll need one of these babies:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00O ... detailpage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Around £14 from amazon at the time of writing.

This was my original quick fix, which got me thinking that a better solution must be possible:

I started off with a white one, which made the pictures clearer and switched to a black one part way through as the finished result is better in black.

First you'll need to split the outer cover at it's joint, I used my Mora knife, but anything similar will do I guess, just keep pressing it into the joint HARD, working around the unit progressively until it gives.

Once it gives you can slide the USB unit out of the outer shell, put the outer shell to one side at the moment, we'll need that later.

You need to get hold of a 'non-smoking ashtray' option......the one with the little shelf instead of any ashtray, of course your D3 may have one of these already (P/N required).

If you are swapping from an ashtray to non-smoker pack then you will also need to get hold of a power socket to replace the ciggy lighter socket (P/N Required), this does not have the 'glow ring' around it so you will end up with connector spare - there is a 'blank' plastic tab on the non smoker pack to 'store' this spare connector on.

A slot needs to be cut into one side of it to allow the inner unit of the USB charger to slide in from one side - you may need to trim one of the clip brackets to allow the unit to slide in, once you have dremmelled this out the unit should be able to slide in and be pressed back, it is then a more than adequate 'push fit' as the actual 'shelf' tapers to hold in place, though you do need to give it real good squeeze ( :oops: ) to keep it in place, Mine has been there for 3 months now and hasn't budged.

Next we need the cover back again, with some careful dremmelling it's possible to cut the front of this down to provide a better (than Bodsy's effort) finish to the job:

I've stuck it in place to the front of the inner USB unit using some Tiger Seal:

All that's left to do now is to fit it....of course you'll need to strip out the H-Trim and the cupholders to get to this, but this has been detailed numerous times before.

What I did notice when fitting mine, was that there is room under the rubber mat that sits under the ashtray area for another of the USB units just dropped into place.....I have then effectively hardwired in cables for my iPhone, Bluetooth GPS dongle, TomTom and Bluetooth Audio streaming unit. It would be easy to relocate the Aux socket using one of these: http://www.cdlmicro.co.uk/1tt-100.15fpc ... table.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

& a jack extension cable, which was my original idea before switching to the Bluetooth Dongle. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Patuoxun-Blueto ... iver+3.5mm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've fed power in from the Aux battery, chopped the Ciggy Power plug off the end of it to make feeding the wire through easier and put a relay in and then popped a 'master' switch up on the panel for the sunroof switch.

If I didn't have an Aux Battery then I would be tempted to power it using piggy-back spade connectors onto the back of the right hand power socket.

Hope this is some help and makes sense - as ever feel free to comment :D
Last edited by CDS on Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:38 am, edited 7 times in total.

Imagine a world with no hypothetical situations..........

DSL
Forum Contributor
Car Details: The old muddy banger

Post by DSL » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:19 pm

Gotta get me one of those Anker thingies. Was having big time problems charging the ipad 4 in the car using the ciggie lighter USB outlet I have. One time it was on charge all night but not switched off, it had gotten up to 16%. :roll:

A deffo must for Polski Tripski. :thumbright:

If only I could think of something useful to type here!! :(

CDS
Secretary
Car Details: Tangerine Machine

Post by CDS » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:24 pm

It will happily charge 4 iOS devices at once :thumbright: :thumbright:

Imagine a world with no hypothetical situations..........

DSL
Forum Contributor
Car Details: The old muddy banger

Post by DSL » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:28 pm

It's on the to buy list. :thumbright:

If only I could think of something useful to type here!! :(