Alpine Ezi-DAB Installation

Completed projects written as how to guides
Dave_Harris
Forum Contributor
Car Details: 2011, 3.0 D4 HSE

Alpine Ezi-DAB Installation

Post by Dave_Harris » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:37 pm

So me posting in the 'How to Guides' section will be somewhat misleading as I neither have enough pictures, detail or indeed knowledge to instruct anyone doing anything with their car other than filling it up (and bear in mind I was the one who asked if you could fill your car up while leaving your engine running).

With my hard earned winnings (gratefully received), I purchased one of the following;

http://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/dab3842/ezi-dab

I don't listen to mainstream radio much for various reasons so wanted alternatives, along with better options for iPhone integration and music streaming.
I looked at a couple of DAB units (add-ons rather than replacing the IHU), one a bit cheaper than the alpine but not as sexy (clearly that factors high on my qualification list), and then there was the 'Pure Highway' which was another £50 over the Alpine I ultimately went for, but does include Bluetooth streaming I believe...

So in terms of integration for audio, there's an AUX out on the unit which seemed the most logical to use. They also offer direct FM transmission, but I'm not sure the LR IHU supports that.
The first job for me was getting the aux out from the unit to the stereo. Rather than running a cable back to the AUX in by the middle row seats, I decided to splice into the connection where it runs through the passenger footwell.

The pic above shows the plug under the passenger kick panel that contains the AUX feed, at this point in time I can't remember which two wires it is but I'll update when it comes back to me! The stereo cable runs from there through to the centre console where I was hoping I'd find room to house the unit.

Removing the H-Trim it was fairly obvious where the unit would sit, so I didn't worry about that straight away and went on to understand the plume of wiring that came with the DAB. Essentially the Alpine unit supports waaay more functionality that I was bothered about as most of it is handled by the LR IHU. What that meant was that I could strip the loom right back to 12v + battery, 12v + Ignition and Ground. I did decide to leave some of the other wires on there, just in case I try to do anything further with it (such as telephony controls etc), but I really cant see that happening. All the other wires were there for the ISO plug standard / connectivity.

I then just needed to locate a 12v + Battery feed (pin 11 on the IHU 20 pin plug), Ground (Pin 1 (I think) on the IHU), and then 12v + Ignition, which I got from the cigarette socket.
Oh and God Bless SnapLocks.... Where the hell have they been all my life??

The Alpine unit didn't come with an aerial, but that's not a bad thing as I think both the others came with an internal windscreen aerial which isn't recommended, and by all accounts people have really bad experiences as a result.

So I bought a cheap magmount external aerial from Amazon. I mounted it just inside the roof rack at the front of the car, and ran the cable into the inside of the A-Pillar, through the passenger foot well and into the centre console next to the stereo cable I had done previously.

The Alpine unit has a USB port which can double as an input for a HDD stacked with choones, or, as an iPod / iPhone controller and charger. I want the latter, so ran the included USB extension cable out of the centre console towards the driver foot well. The cable isn't particularly long so it only made it just behind the driver kick panel under the steering wheel. From here I've ran a standard apple lightning cable up the side of the steering wheel to where my iPhone holder is, which is windscreen mounted above the rightmost dash vent.

The last cable run is that of the controller unit.
This took a while to work out, mainly because I couldn't decide where to mount it! I think I ended back where I started, although I am still nervous that the sticky pad wont hold long term on the mottled material of the dash - But i'll cross that bridge when it comes.
With the unit mounted there, it made the cable run extremely easy. I was able to feed it straight into the dash, and when the H-Trim was added back, it hid the lot!

So the results?
All of 5 minutes testing has been superb!
Its obviously suffering from decibel loss being routed through AUX, but there's no easy way around that (I assume).
So far the clarify is excellent, the channel selection is great and the iPhone controls work flawlessly (if a little slow sometimes).

The only negative I've seen is that the unit has a longish boot time. I haven't measured it, and when your firing something up for testing even a few seconds will seem like a lifetime, so I'll reserve any further judgment until I use it day in day out.

Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

Re: Alpine Ezi-DAB Installation

Post by Stu » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:39 pm

Nice write up Dave. I look forward to a follow up when you've had it for a few days.

Will the iPhone connect wirelessly if you want it to?cand can you control it etc wirelessly?

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

Bodsy
Chairman
Winner: Technical Post 2012, 2013
Comedian of the Year 2014
Car Details: 2007 HSE

Post by Bodsy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:16 pm

Can you give us an update on the highs and lows of the unit Dave?
Thinking about one myself.

Check http://tinyurl.com/brakebible
Here for How to change your Brake Pads, Disks, EPB Shoes Adjust, removal, cleaning & fitting Guide.

IID Pro Multivehicle. D3, D4, RRSport pre and post 2010, FFRR.
Gearbox Transmission Flushes and much more

Disco3Club Chairman

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Post by anglefire » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:44 pm

Anymore thoughts on this? Seriously considering a DAB due to the current radio stations being pretty dire half the time!

Or an alternative obviously!

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

Dave_Harris
Forum Contributor
Car Details: 2011, 3.0 D4 HSE

Post by Dave_Harris » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:03 am

I would certainly recommend it.
I was a bit dubious about the signal (which of course is also down to the aerial you chose and its placement), but having driving the same places in the Merc with built in DAB, it also drops out. So I'm happy the Ezi-DAB setup I had was capable.

The control module with this one was very easy to use (looks like the parrot car kits), and made flicking between favourites etc a breeze.

I'd do it again :thumbright:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Post by anglefire » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:45 am

I did a search online post my post on here, and there doesn't seem to be many about really. This one, the Pure and a couple of others - the idea that it would get the display onto the radio screen sound like pie in the sky when it comes to a Land Rover :lol:

I'll have to count the pennies and see what I can find behind the sofa :lol:

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here