Secretary
Car Details: Tangerine Machine

How To....Manual Gearbox Circlip Replacement

Post by CDS » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:54 am

Tools Needed:
Various Torqs Bits
10mm Spanner
Circlip Pliers
Spare spring clips for dash parts (they always get lost somewhere)

Time required: 4-6 hours depending on amount of spilt blood from knuckles

As per thread here: http://www.disco3club.co.uk/phpbb/viewt ... f=3&t=5925" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; my gear linkage dropped off. Having had a chat with Bodsy, my first port of call was the mysterious Circlip. At first I was thinking it would be actually in the gearbox, but it turned out to be external - Bonus!
Having had it looked at by the RAC at the roadside I wasn't that hopeful of a DIY fix, as he had told me that he had no chance of reaching the end of the gear linkage rod from under the D3, in fairness, it was me passing on Bodsy's directions to remove the rear most plastic 'protection' plate underneath that made him crawl underneath in the first place!
Once home on the driveway I managed to find a clip and 2 'O' Rings sat on top of the gearbox:

GearRodClip3.jpg

I could see that the retainers on the Circlip were somewhat worn, so presumably it's a sacrificial part?

So a step in the right direction. Next to fathom out where exactly they had come from:

GearRodClip2.JPG
The attachment GearRodClip1.JPG is no longer available

LR do a 'repair kit' on part No ULA500030, which I couldn't find in stock anywhere at the time, I managed to get hold of 2 from Britpart (thinking I would have a spare in case I lost it while fitting, given that I would be working blind and 'overhead' while flat on my back, more on this later).

With the help of an assistant sitting in the driver's seat I managed to get the linkage back in place from underneath grappling above the gearbox and select all gears, but as for fitting the 'O' Rings (there are actually 3, I only found 2 when I looked initially) it was impossible, I was working at full arm's length, even with the D3 at normal height (I'm too fat to fit under it in Access Height) and I was in effect 'cuddling' the gearbox :oops:

More than one person had mentioned dropping the gearbox cross member to give better access, but my concern here was that I would still not be able to get my fat fingers in there!

I was also keen to inspect the parts that were 'dislocated' and also to take some pics if at all possible, I managed to find this diagram:

GearRodClip4.jpg

You can see that bolt HB1 fits directly from the top of the cowl into the fixing for the gear lever pivot point, and by feeling around underneath I figured that if the cowl could be removed I would be able to access and see the length of the gear linkage rod.

Removing the section of the centre console with the Terrain Response button and EPB button revealed that I would need to remove the whole of the centre console, the H-Trim, Radio Head Unit, Hevac, Ashtray Unit, Vent pipes and the plastic moulding that effectively houses the H-Trim and the items housed within/ behind it to get to the 4 bolts highlighted below. I won't go into how to do that here as it's been covered elsewhere previously.

GearRodClip5.jpg

It seemed at first glance that the bolt could be accessed without all the H-Trim gear coming out, but the 4 bolts hold down a long 'L' shaped fixing bracket, bracing the gearbox cowl to the metalwork behind the H-Trim. Also as it turns out the cowl needs to be lifted straight up to remove - not possible without the full strip out.

Onto the business part.....

First pop off the rubber gator to break the seal around the cowl, then remove the 8 (only 4 shown here) Torq bolts highlighted in Red in the image below, and the 2 (only 1 shown here) hex nuts highlighted in Blue. once off, carefully lift the cowl clear of the floor pan.

GearRodClip6.jpg

Your pride and joy should now look something like this:

GearRodClip7.jpg

This is what caused the problem:

GearRodClip8.jpg
GearRodClip9.jpg

I decided that while I had 'easy' access to the gear rod, I would change the circlips on both ends as a preventative measure, as the one directly under the gear stick is the same design

GearRodClip10.jpg

I found it easier to remove the whole gear rod, give it a good clean up and then grease it, with the grease supplied in the repair kit. The grease of course helped to keep the 'O' Rings in place while slotting things together.

The cranked end is the end that connects to the gear selector on the box.

GearRodClip11.jpg

By holding the gear stick up out of the way with some zip ties it is much easier to access the gear selector and get the circlip in place without losing it.

GearRodClip12.jpg

Circlip back in place:

GearRodClip13.jpg

Once done, fit the 'O' Rings & Circlip to the gear lever end and replace the cowl - taking care not to trap any of the wiring loom. Fit the top 2 bolts finger tight first and then locate the other 12 bolts in place. Tighten them all evenly and then go over and tighten again. Check that all gears can be selected without the keys in the ignition (keys in = lots of fault codes due to disconnected bits and pieces!

Refit the rubber gator and then 'simply' refit the centre console and H-Trim, Radio Head, HEVAC etc etc.

Don't forget to replace that all-important 'protection' plate under the gearbox.

Sit back and wonder if it would have been quicker to drop the gearbox!
Attachments
GearRodClip1.JPG
GearRodClip1.JPG (9.13 KiB) Viewed 606 times
GearRodClip1.JPG
GearRodClip1.JPG (9.13 KiB) Viewed 606 times

Imagine a world with no hypothetical situations..........

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Re: How To....Manual Gearbox Circlip Replacement

Post by anglefire » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:37 am

Excellent write up Clive - even though I sharn't be needing to use it (Well, hopefully :whistle: ).

Remind me to be out when Ben wants to do his and needs a hand :lol:

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

benp
Green Lane Rep
Winner: Benner of the year
Car Details: D3

Post by benp » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:55 am

Excellent write up ….. lets hope I don’t have to use it soon as it does look a bit of a pain

Benner of the year
club dog guard in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out....club the dog is dead but cant change the signature :(
club the D3 is alive!

Bodsy
Chairman
Winner: Technical Post 2012, 2013
Comedian of the Year 2014
Car Details: 2007 HSE

Post by Bodsy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:23 am

Good write up Clive :thumbright:

Check http://tinyurl.com/brakebible
Here for How to change your Brake Pads, Disks, EPB Shoes Adjust, removal, cleaning & fitting Guide.

IID Pro Multivehicle. D3, D4, RRSport pre and post 2010, FFRR.
Gearbox Transmission Flushes and much more

Disco3Club Chairman

CDS
Secretary

Post by CDS » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:33 am

a bit of a pain
It's a royal pain tbh.....but easier than dropping the gearbox without a ramp!
:lol:
I feel I know the cockpit of my D3 so much better now!

Stu
Vice Chairman
Winner: Subject of Photo of the Year 2012
Most Stupid Fall of the year - so far. 2013
Author the Funniest Thread of the Year 2014
Car Details: D3 HSE

How To....Manual Gearbox Circlip Replacement

Post by Stu » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:05 am

I'm going to make a special fuss of my auto box today and let it know how much I like it more than a manual! Look a royal pita but goo that it's a cheap fix.

As featured in LRO and BBC Radio 2!

"It's not a gazebo it's an event shelter"

CDS
Secretary

Post by CDS » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:16 am

Had a similar problem with a Citroen many years ago, jacked up to get underneath and it didn't seem to be going up, I looked inside and there was a huge bulge in the passenger foot well, oops! So I guess the D3 fix went better :lol:
I have got 2 bolts left over though :oops:

biskit
Forum Contributor
Car Details: 55 D3 silver

Post by biskit » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:47 pm

I feel I know the cockpit of my D3 so much better now![/quote]
That's good to hear Clive, :thumbright:

Chicken Duck
Forum Contributor

Post by Chicken Duck » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:11 am

Brilliant "how to" Thank's :thumbright:

Was Disco Duck in a past life

* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CDS
Secretary

Post by CDS » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Ahh - another member of the exclusive club :thumbright: