Timing Belt Locking Pins ....

XDAndy
Elected Club Member
Car Details: MY11 3.0 TDV6 XS

Timing Belt Locking Pins ....

Post by XDAndy » Thu May 24, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi all,

Thinking ahead here, and trying to decide whether or not to have a crack at changing my own belts before next summer, with the help of Disco_Mickey's guide, and wondering if there are any 'club' pins, or anyone in my area who could loan me a set? - should I be daft enough to give it a go.

The 3 belts were done by Guy Salmon LR in Knutsford in Nov 2012 at 39k miles.

Car now sitting at 87k miles so well within the mileage limits.

Looking through the invoices, it hasn't had the oil pump casing changed, but my interpretation of everything would seem to suggest that the early D3's were not affected by the issue of weak oil pump cover so I shouldn't need to bust a gut to change them now just for this one component.

But, if I'm doing this, or getting someone else to do it for me, other than the tensioners included in the belt kits, are there any other parts that are worth changing, such as water pump (I've heard for some cars, but this ....?), or other bits with bearing in them?

Thanks in advance....

PillowSmuggler
Committee Member
Winner: Avatar of the Year 2012
Comedian of the Year 2013
Mechanic of the Year 2014
Clube Member of the Year 2014
Car Details: Disco3 TDV6 HSE 2007

Re: Timing Belt Locking Pins ....

Post by PillowSmuggler » Thu May 24, 2018 6:32 pm

I'm not aware that the club has such a set, but unless you're a real expert at changing the belts without accidentally moving the crankshaft, you'll also need to lock the flywheel which requires an extra part. On an Automatic, that involves removing the starter motor so you can reach the ring-gear.

The bad oil pump housing came along during the 2007MY; mine was a December 2006 build and had the previous more robust pump, but I cannot recall the point it switched over to the :censored: one; there must be a VIN range listed somewhere.

As for other bits, make sure you replace each idler wheel on the belt's path as I don't remember those being in the standard parts changed. The fuel pump belt and tensioner are also on the same service schedule I believe, and whilst you are in maintenance mode you may want to change the aux belt, idlers and water pump as you'll be elbows deep anyway.

The oil pump IMHO is for experts only as it needs a good understanding of how the seals work. For instance, the shaft seal is glued to the crank shaft and not lubricated.

Regards, Dom.
2007 HSE Auto TDV6
Snorkel, Cyclonic air filter, GNVP Rock Sliders
78Ah Aux, Split charge, FBH Timer/Remote, Mantec sump plate
LED: Strobes, interior, camping, brake, running, sides
New Oil Pump, using 2SO at 1:400.

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Post by anglefire » Thu May 24, 2018 8:23 pm

Whatever MY the car is, I'd be changing the oil pump as a matter of course (I had mine changed despite it being in the "safe" part number range). Its the one bit that whilst not cheap is vital - and all MY have been known to fail - ask @Stu

Water pumps can be replaced without disturbing the cam belts - I wouldn't change it unless you think it has an issue.

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

XDAndy
Elected Club Member

Post by XDAndy » Fri May 25, 2018 12:00 am

Thanks both.

Something to think about.

There are, it seems, plenty of locking kits on Ebay and such, some of which include the 'extra' locking bit for the auto-models, but if there was 'club' stuff would still save a few £

I guess my desire for doing this is more for being able to have done this myself, and knowing exactly whats been done and how. Really getting to connect with my car.

But, guess I have to balance that against limitations, such as my technical ability and previous experience, and my wife's reaction when I tell her I've just turned the disco into a decorative brick.

Food for thought, none the less.

Meantime, looks like Ill be harvesting the local neighbourhood for small, fluffy, domesticated animals to sacrifice to the Gods of Land Rovers in order to ward off the evil of a cracked oil pump case until I can gather the savings to pay a garage.

Andy

anglefire
Site Admin

Post by anglefire » Fri May 25, 2018 7:03 am

If its any consolation, the pumps tend to fail within a few thousand miles of a belt change as its the actual fitting of the belt that puts more strain on the casing - if done correctly, there should be no additional stress.

Oh and the other belt that should be changed is the HPFP belt at the back of the engine - if that breaks, it doesn't usually damage anything - the engine just stops - but it has been known to damage things occasionally (Don't know what). So get that replaced at the same time.

And that is a proper pig to change apparently.

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
Skoda Enyaq IV 80

DSL
Forum Contributor
Car Details: The old muddy banger

Post by DSL » Fri May 25, 2018 12:43 pm

Getting the front & rear belts & tensioners on mine done next week. Emphasis on “getting done”, not “doing”. Looks waaaaaaaaaay beyond my skill set :whistle: :whistle:

If only I could think of something useful to type here!! :(

anglefire
Site Admin

Post by anglefire » Fri May 25, 2018 5:48 pm

To be fair, you are only experienced at taking cars apart Del. Especially in northern countries :rasp:

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
Skoda Enyaq IV 80

DSL
Forum Contributor

Post by DSL » Fri May 25, 2018 6:47 pm

True, true. Planning another jolly to NE Finland & Norway, heading off in 4 weeks. I aim to finish it with the car in one piece, not a collection of bits in the spare room. :whistle: :whistle: :thumbright:

XDAndy
Elected Club Member

Post by XDAndy » Fri May 25, 2018 9:51 pm

But Disco_Mickey made it look so easy in his ‘how to’!

But, the info that it’s the belt change that causes the stress is helpful to know.

Had already planned on changing the oil pump case anyway, well for a Citroen one anyway (at half the price .....)

Unless I’m wrong in that as well ?

DSL
Forum Contributor

Post by DSL » Sat May 26, 2018 8:22 am

For me: