Newbie wants to change his oil.

Club Feedback and general chat
Discomick
Forum Contributor
Car Details: D3 & D4

Newbie wants to change his oil.

Post by Discomick » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:28 am

Hi Guys. About to attempt my first diy intermediate engine oil change (Disco 4). Is there anyone near Wetherby who would be prepared to supervise me so I don't cock anything up? I've ordered a vacuum oil changer to save jacking the vehicle up. I'm happy to travel 1/2 hour if that's more convenient for anyone who can help. I'm sure it's not difficult but would just like someone experienced to keep an eye on me. Here's hoping.

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Re: Newbie wants to change his oil.

Post by anglefire » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:30 pm

I can't think off hand who is local to you - @Bodsy gets about but I know he's not going to be around for a while.

Personally, I wouldn't use a vacuum pump to suck the oil out - though people do. Undoing the underbody plates (Unless you have full continuous body armour on) doesn't take long.

I would recommend 4 decent ramps to get the car a bit higher but also level - but not needed if you do use the pump.

Assuming its the same as the D3 (Can't think why it wouldn't be) then:

The only thing you need to be careful of is fitting the filter correctly. And on removal of the oil one give the Vee a bit of a clean up as oil will come out - but don't get anything in filter housing "bed"

You will need a hook to pull the old filter out of the cover too. They sort of snap in and can put up a bit of a fight to get them out.

Refitting the filter is not the same as taking it out - you DON'T put it in the filter housing - you put in onto the engine making sure the spigot locates in the filter correctly - its not hard but it absolutely must be right otherwise you get oil starvation.

Once its correctly located screw the filter housing back on with a new seal that should come with the filter. Its pretty obvious how its fitted. Its not much more than hand tight - there will be a torque setting somewhere.

Refill the engine with the correct amount of oil - I guess with a D4 you need to measure it in as there is no dipstick (Not sure what idiot thought that a good idea!)

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

Trevor
Forum Contributor
Car Details: Range Rover

Post by Trevor » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:25 pm

D4 designed to have the oil sucked out. You add oil to the volume you have sucked out.

anglefire
Site Admin
Winner: Club Member of Year 2012 & 13
Car Details: Skoda Enyaq IV 80

Post by anglefire » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:26 pm

Is it? Learn something new everyday!

Mark

Waeco CFX 40
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Skoda Enyaq IV 80
Skoda Superb SE L Ex (Gone)
2006 disco3 SE. Gone but not forgotten.
BMW 530d M Sport Touring. Gone
Member of Admin team and :ugeek:
Disco3Club Photos: Here

Discomick
Forum Contributor
Car Details: D3 & D4

Post by Discomick » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:26 am

Thank you anglefire. I'll pick up on all your advice. I have a D3 as well so that will be next. I've looked on YouTube and the D3 filter has the spigot but the D4 doesn't appear to have it. I'll either get it right or not!

I know Bodsy - top man - came to do my egr's and remap mods. Wouldn't want to disturb his holiday! :lol: and....I just want to do this myself.